Solina Centre for International Development and Research (SCIDaR) is an indigenous nonprofit institution that works to accelerate positive health, social, and economic reforms through high-quality program design and implementation, capacity building, implementation science research, and knowledge generation, as well as agenda-setting and stakeholder convening across human development sectors. Our work seeks to benefit primarily disadvantaged and under-served populations. We implement transformation programs in Nigeria and are currently expanding our footprint to several West and Central African countries.
Description and Objectives
The Data Analyst/Scientist will support project teams in the collection and analysis of robust datasets from health systems, leveraging these insights for research purposes and integrating findings into research papers. Responsible for employing advanced analytical techniques, managing data pipelines, and driving decision-making processes across all projects, this role plays a crucial part in utilizing data-driven approaches to further scientific research.
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and define key performance indicators (KPIs);
- Coordinate the collection of project-specific data, both qualitative and quantitative, from various sources;
- Conduct data cleaning and in-depth analysis on various projects to derive actionable insights;
- Conduct data interpretation using appropriate statistical tools and techniques;
- Ensure data quality and integrity through rigorous validation and verification processes;
- Identify trends, patterns, and gaps related to projects and provide insights for decision-making.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of findings to project teams;
- Prepare reporting and documentation for data analytics results, findings, algorithms, and/or techniques;
- Contribute to the development of comprehensive project reports, including the integration of project-specific findings and recommendations.
Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Collaborate with stakeholders to align data analysis with project objectives and organizational goals;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and learning within the SCIDaR and global communities of practice documenting best practices, lessons learned, and success stories to facilitate learning;
- Support the organization of workshops, seminars, and other platforms for sharing organizational learning, insights, and experiences.
- Compelling evidence of interest in and commitment to the mission of SCIDaR;
- Fast learner, open to learning from peers, subordinates, and supervisors collaboratively and at a rapid pace;
- Demonstrated experience in implementing effective data collection systems and processes;
- Knowledge of research and evaluation methodologies, including experimental design, sampling techniques, data quality assurance, research ethics, and data protection methods;
- Strong data collection and analytical skills with proficiency in at least one of STATA, SPSS, R, and/or Excel (advanced functions);
- Knowledge of the development and implementation of statistical models and algorithms for research purposes;
- Ability to drive the integration of research findings into papers and publications;
- Ability to manage data pipelines, ensuring data accuracy, integrity, and accessibility for analysis;
- Utilization of visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, and Lucas to create insightful visual representations of data;
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams to understand research objectives and translate them into analytical approaches;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner;
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships, facilitate discussions, and manage stakeholder expectations;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and an ability to think critically, apply logical reasoning, and propose data-driven recommendations for program improvement.
Education and Experience
I. Academic Training: A Bachelor’s degree, MBA, or Master’s Degree in Applied Statistics, Data Analytics and Information Systems Management, Development Studies, Public Health, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in data analytics/science or related research roles, demonstrating their ability to analyze data, and contribute to reporting;
- Proficiency in R, Python, SPSS, and STATA for statistical analysis and modelling;
- Experience using visualization tools like PowerBI, Tableau, and Looker to present complex data;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail;
- Experience in preparing reports, documenting findings into research papers or publications;
- Excellent communication skills to convey complex findings to diverse audiences and to different stakeholders;
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams;
- Understanding of data security and compliance standards in healthcare settings.
Terms of Appointment
- This is a full-time position based at SCIDaR headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria;
- Remuneration and benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience;
- The analyst may be required to undertake local and international travels to state offices, partner organizations, conferences, or workshops.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
SCIDaR is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.