Solina Centre for International Development and Research (SCIDaR) is an indigenous non-profit institution that works to accelerate positive health, social and economic reforms through high quality program design and implementation, capacity building, implementation science research and knowledge generation, as well as agenda setting and stakeholder convening across human development sectors. Our work seeks to benefit primarily disadvantaged and under-served populations. We implement transformation programs in Nigeria and are currently expanding our footprint to several West and Central African countries. We are building a competent world class management team to enable us achieve our strategic growth objectives in a sustainable way.
Description and Objectives
SCIDaR is seeking to engage a suitable, qualified, and skilled Research Associate to support our programs and projects. The successful candidate will play a critical role in ensuring the effectiveness and impact of our initiatives by implementing robust monitoring and evaluation systems, conducting research, and facilitating organizational learning.
The Research Associate will work cohesively with the program manager and staff across relevant teams to ensure efficient and effective supervision of research project, and supervision of data enumerators. The job may also include extensive writing assignments such as scientific articles; research protocols; compelling case studies; program reports; among others.
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E):
- Design and implement M&E frameworks for projects, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain data collection tools, systems, and databases.
- Monitor project activities, collect data, and analyze results to assess progress and performance against targets.
- Conduct regular field visits to gather data and provide on-the-ground support to project teams.
- Prepare high-quality M&E reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct research studies, including baseline and endline surveys, impact assessments, and market research.
- Analyze and interpret research findings to inform program design and decision-making.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices in MERL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning) and incorporate relevant innovations into our programs.
Learning and Capacity Building:
- Facilitate regular learning sessions and knowledge-sharing events within the organization.
- Collaborate with project teams to identify areas for improvement and adapt program strategies accordingly.
- Provide training and capacity-building support to staff and partners on MERL best practices.
- Ensure the accuracy, completeness, and security of project data.
- Develop and manage data storage and archiving systems.
- Support data quality assurance efforts, including data cleaning and validation.
Reporting and Communication:
- Prepare and present MERL findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of communication materials, case studies, and success stories.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., social sciences, international development, statistics, or a related discipline). Advanced degree is an added advantage.
- Proven experience in monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning in the development or humanitarian sector.
- Strong data analysis skills and proficiency in data analysis software (e.g., Excel, SPSS, STATA, or R).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection methods.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of relevant industry standards and best practices in MERL.
- Experience: Minimum of five years (5) years of relevant experience in research, scientific writing and publishing with evidence of authorship in peer-reviewed articles in reputable journals;
- Professional credentialing: Experience using statistical analytical tool such as Excel, STATA, SPSS, SAS or other software is required. Good knowledge of the development and deployment of digital data collection tools such as koboToolbox, Open Data Kit (Android), REDCap.
- Consulting experience in strategy, research, and international development in a reputable public health organization or development consulting firm is a major plus.